Thursday, March 4, 2010

Journal #4 - Finding Students Who Learn with Media (NETS II, V)

Bull, G. (2010). Finding students who learn with media. Learning and Leading with Technology, 37(5), Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=February_No_5_4&Template=/MembersOnly.cfm&NavMenuID=4495&ContentID=25255&DirectListComboInd=D


The article, “Finding Students Who Learn with Media”, introduces a program called PrimaryAccess MovieMaker. This program allows students to create their own documentaries. The process involved in creating these documentaries is time consuming. The article stated that the process takes about 3 class periods. The process requires students to create an outline, storyboard, and script, then organize all materials and finally edit and add final touches. This documentary assignment is said to produce the same results as a written assessment. The students learn the curriculum and present it in a creative way in which they retain the information for a longer time.
How would I use this program in my classroom?
Even though this program requires a lot of student interaction and it produces results I do not think I would be able to implement it into my classroom. I believe it consumes too much time and the results are the same as other forms of assessment. If I were to use this in my classroom I would use it at the end of the school year.
Should the use of programs such as Primary Access be a part of the curriculum?
I do not think it should just because it does not show a great deal of success. I think that this program should only be used when there is extra time allotted in the curriculum schedule. Otherwise it should not be implemented.

No comments:

Post a Comment