Saturday, March 20, 2010

Journal #6 - Collaborative Documents (NETS IV,V)

The tool that I followed on the website of Classroom 2.0 was Collaborative Documents. The types of collaborative documents I read about were Wiki and Google Docs. Wiki is server software that allows people to edit web pages as well as create them. Wikis are usually used when creating a web page for an organization in which several people need to coordinated a program or company. The other tool that was part of collaborative documents was Google Docs. Goggle Docs is a web-based program in which people can create a document using a Word-like program. Using this program people can edit and format the document like they would on the non web-based Word processing program.


When I was reading the responses to this forum I found out the pros and cons of these two programs. The pros of the Wiki are that information can be posted very easily on the web. It is easy to create and edit. Another pro is that revisions are stored. The cons are that only one person at a time can edit the work and there is not much security. The pros of Google Docs are that the information is constantly being saved which allows several editors to edit at once. There was only one con mentioned for Google Docs and it was that it is hard to identify revisions.

2 comments:

  1. I am looking forward one day to edit something in Wikipedia. I remember making the mistake of quoting it in High School because I had no clue that just anybody could edit the info, hopefully all kids will be warned before they get embarrassed like i did in a debate where I referenced it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree 100% with your pros and cons about Wiki and Google Docs. I have had a countless amount of times where I forgot to save my document, and something happened to my computer or internet and lost everything. I love how Google Docs automatically save. I have also found Google Docs very useful for collaborative assignments in school.

    ReplyDelete